Freaky's Problem #2

The day before yesterday, we had a guest lecturer from the US & A (as Borat would say). One of my teachers introduced us - and told him that I was one of the best students at my faculty. We exchanged a couple of words, and he gave me his contact information and told me to pay him a visit the day after.

Yesterday, after classes I went to meet this professor and talk more about the options which I have in a case I decide to continue my studies in the US. Honestly, I was just amazed how professional and friendly he was in contrast to our Macedonian teachers. He talked to me like to a friend and was really helpful. While our Macedonian professors treat the students as peasants. Considering the fact that he is an award-winning professor - working as a consultant for various fortune 500 companies. This made me realize how complexed (do you say complexed for someone that is insecure and frustrated - and always tries to shame someone cause of that) are the Macedonian professors.

Personally, I think the Macedonian students are to blame for this. I mean seriously, every student is familiar with the law, responsibility, and codex which every professor should follow. However, we as students keep on allowing them to treat us like scumbags and being unfair, and unethical with us in many ways. Every student comments this, but nobody takes action. I was a witness to a professor asking for a bribe to another fellow student of mine.

I had a situation once when one of the professors was making a joke on the personal appearance of another fellow student. Fast forward a couple of months, there was another similar case when the professor made fun of a different student just because he was from a rural area. This third situation is the cherry on the top; a different professor asks a female student if she does smoke (and we say smoke for a blowjob too), and she said “Nope”, and then the professor replied, “What about cigars?”.

Yes, I know that other systems are more rigged, but this is crazy here. #MyRantEndsHere

No, I would describe that as self-important.

In the US & A that professor coud have a sexual harassment case filed against him and even get fired.

It has been years since I was a young college student. However, then as well as when I have taken classes recently the professors have been mostly like that.

Congratulations on getting this offer. :slightly_smiling_face:

Your Macedonian professors sound like they graduated from Hogwarts. Personally, I’d fight back by secretly videoing them and starting a Youtube channel. You can get pretty decent spy watches and gadgets on eBay. :slight_smile:

Most of my teachers were snowflakes compared to yours. At school one of ours was found locked in a supply cupboard by a cleaner on the weekend. Some students locked her in as a prank and forgot about her. She had a nervous breakdown after that and left.

One friend I had who went to another school had a problem with one of his teachers trading personal insults and acting inappropriately. No one believed him until he tape recorded an incident. After that, the situation exploded into a scandal. - Hence my advice.

That said, Uni staff might be a different kettle of fish. They’ve got huge pay packets to protect and won’t go down easily. In this case, make sure to do everything anonymously.

The problem is that the professors here don’t understand that their goal is to produce young educated people, which would be competitive in the labor market. They think that they are self-made gods, and the students are slaves which should focus only on theory and memorizing millions of numbers and stats for stupid tests. We don’t even have practice, everything is theory.

Well, here as well - but the students are scared as the professor decides if you would pass the test or not.

That’s a great idea. I am positive that story like that can even be sold to Vice or some other investigative media outlet.

Oh, high school and elementary school professors here are snowflakes as well. They can lose their job if they don’t play by the rules. However, university professors are more protected due to the line in the law saying that each professor has personal autonomy. But on the other hand, it doesn’t state what does personal autonomy means. Thus, the professors can virtually do whatever they like.

Plus, many of the students are from the smaller towns, and in the smaller towns, their parents tell them to be quiet. Perhaps, their parents don’t know what does democracy means, and think that they still live in either a dictatorship (communism) or even worse in the Ottoman Empire.

Honestly, as long as people here don’t get their mindset changed, things like this would happen. Which is unlikely as both the government and the private sector like stupid and illiterate people.

Bonus Situation:

Our management professor, did a small survey to see which management method would we the students apply in case we had our own business. The survey turned out that most of the students said the democratic approach to management was their option.

Then, the professor explained that, we, as managers should never be democratic nor liberals, and that the autocratic approach to management is the best way to run a business. That means that we shouldn’t be approachable to our employees, we shouldn’t offer them assistance. Crazy, right?

lol - reminds me of the time someone stole a supply teacher’s makeup box and abandoned it on a window-sill somewhere. I found it and its incredibly garish contents and proceeded to wave it around, mocking the contents… which was round about the time the teacher noticed and assumed I’d stolen it. Then got the blame, natch. That teacher also liked to walk around the school background with a full backpack for “hike training” (our school grounds were in no way suitable for “hike training”, whatever that is exactly). She quit after a year.

At University, I primarily hung about with TAs, communists, and younger lecturers in the pub discussing the downfall of the state, America’s generic evilness, Iraq, the liberation of Cuba, and other such matters. Sometimes we’d heckle the Tories if they walked in. I once accidentally snogged a Tory, which I was never allowed to live down. Once, some of them drunkenly decided to fly to DC on a whim to give (then) “President Shrub a piece of their mind”. Sadly, they forgot their passports and slept the rest of the night off at Birmingham airport.

The other lecturers were sensible, mind. I just gravitated towards the chaotic fun.

No. A business is a business and I’ve encountered the trap of the democratic mindset. It does not work. You end up with nightmare employees who bleed money everywhere. As a manager or business owner, my job is to make money to keep a business running and keep people employed.

I quit my last job due to the millennial invasion of 20 somethings who arrive needing a say in how a business operates and constantly want to have discussions about how their lives could be made easier. You entertain them for a while and then everything falls apart. Everything becomes a problem.

You won’t understand it until you put your own money or reputation on the line and try the approach for yourself. However, the autocratic approach does work best. The belief otherwise stems from huge multinationals who tout the democratic/liberal philosophy, but in reality (think Amazon and Walmart) none practice what they preach. If they did, they would be out of business.

Sorry. Been there done it. It just ends up in chaos.

My two oldest sons took business as a major. They were well aware of their professors left/liberal leanings. So when they wrote papers they always wrote them from that point of view rather than what they really felt or thought was correct. They got better grades that way.

I would say approach in which you are not a Machiavellian as I said earlier. But one in which you are tough leader figure, but still “listens” to his employees (at least to their concerns) works the best. You should respect your employees.

The autocratic one that he explained the true way to get tons of lawsuits. His opinion was that we should treat the employees like :poop: - imagine you being a Stalin figure and your employees are the Soviet working class. That was his idea of an autocratic approach.

But both me and you are on the same page. As I understand what you said. :slight_smile:

What works best is advertising a job, inviting applications, stating clearly what employee responsibilities are, then hiring the best person available who understands their role.

I would actually go so far as to say that anything other than the autocratic approach is more damaging for employees than it is businesses. Once you have hired a millennial, you learn your lesson and never hire another one.

In my last job, we hired most people on seasonal contracts. By the end of the year, the staff were feeling really self-fulfilled. They had demanded to be mollycoddled and pushed to have several long-standing operating practices changed, many of which had been. - Then they all saw their jobs advertised and hysteria started.

They tried to complain about being fired but they weren’t being fired. Their contracts had simply come to a close. They were invited to reapply but sadly, there were just too many better candidates to pick from. :slight_smile:

I’ve since talked with other people about the controversy surrounding zero hour contracts. These are where businesses hire people but don’t offer a fixed amount of hours or promise any level of remuneration. I used to consider these a kind of slavery. However, people I know say they use these to combat the millennial/democratic employee problem.

If you hire someone who constantly needs their hand holding, simply don’t give them any more hours. Hire someone else. If that person has a rare flicker of initiative and they are happy to just do their job, offer them a real full-time position with fixed hours.

I get it when you say:

However, employees have to earn respect. Employee rights (in most places) are already protected by strict laws. There are also procedures in place in every medium to large size business, which allow employees to voice grievances and approach someone with problems. These days, though, younger employees arrive wanting more. They want to feel like part of an organization and feel valued. The only problem is, all they know how to do is say that a thousand times.

I had an employee ask if our restaurant could start using free range eggs. I said I’d think about it. I decided to test it and started ordering free range eggs from our supplier. However, the eggs were exactly the same size and tasted exactly the same as our old eggs.

I later discovered that in the UK, eggs are considered free range if hens are given access to natural light and allowed to roam. Legally this means that a farmer can fling open a shed door, open all the battery hen cages for an hour and say "Get out there girls! Enjoy yourselves!"

To me, that doesn’t help anyone and is a waste of money. In this case, I switched back to our old egg supplier.

The staff member who had originally approached me felt violated by this, even when the situation was explained. Then other recommendations started coming. That was fine, but they came when really the employee in question should have been attending to their actual duties. This started to result in things not being done and me having my time interrupted. As a result, one person desperate to have their voice heard results in lost profits and waste.

Of course, this is just a basic example. However, this sense of entitlement is pervasive among younger people and it is very self-destructive. To climb any career ladder, people need to learn how to show initiative and perform their duties to the best of their ability. Many these days don’t and don’t even try to. This makes autocratic business structures more important. All you end up with when you adopt an alternative is everyone sitting round talking about how important they feel. Then someone from the bank calls and the next thing you know, your house is being repossessed.

Start a business. When you do, you will realize why it is so important to nip democracy in the bud fast.