Vintage Video Games

+ CONTRIBUTING AUTHOR: ssj

 Times change and I understand that, but sometime I just can’t stop myself form remembering the good old days of gaming. Back then games were all about being fun and engaging not about offering a cinematic experience. Retro games were all about how fun a game was to play which is something about which the majority of developers today have stopped caring. I do not mean to say that modern games are not fun to play, but there is no denying that most games today lack the appeal, creativity and replay value that good old retro games like Pacman & Space Invaders used to have.

 The Improvement in technology has allowed developers today to make games much more complicated and visually stunning. Even though games look incomparably better and are longer, I’d still prefer to play games on an Atari merely because they were simple and were created for the sole purpose of being fun. I love good graphics just as much as the next guy but when a developer is prioritizing how great the game looks more than how well it plays – it is just not a good game. It was not about who could push a console’s hardware to the limits it was all about who could make the most entertaining video game. Although it was short and straightforward, those games had high replay value.

 I still remember coming home from school and breaking out my Atari and playing Pacman and Space Invaders. These games are two of the best retro games as well as being perfect examples of what a game should and should not be. Both of these games were short but challenging and engaging while being simple to play.

 If a new game comes out today, the entire first stage or mission is mostly a tutorial telling you how the game works and teaching you the mechanics. However, even after all that, most games still hold your hand and walk you through the entire process which is why kids today “think” that old school games like Pacman or Space Invaders are “hard.” If Pacman came out today the first stage would probably teach you how to move and would automatically save after every level.

 The real appeal of retro games was having to figure everything out on your own while advancing through levels by trial and error. To this day when I played Space Invaders which is arguably one the best retro games of all time, I cannot help but enjoy how the game slowly becomes more challenging and fun. It is that simplicity yet challenge that keeps me going back for more.